Monday 26 March 2007

It's A Vet's Life!


Having spent 6 gruelling years in university studying to be a vet, I've just realised that it has also been 6 long years since I graduated as a vet. There have been many precious and memorable moments, most of which I simply cannot recall upon desire to do so. One of my biggest regrets since graduation is not documenting these magical memories and unique encounters with the different animals I have come into contact with!

I've realised that the private life of a veterinarian can be quite interesting to many, and having been urged countless times by my closer friends, I've decided to create this blog to share with you bits and pieces of my life and what it is like living the life of an animal doctor. I will never be as famous as James Herriot, but I sincerely hope and believe that some of you may still enjoy what you will read from my humble postings here.

For me, it has been a childhood dream and destiny's end to be a vet. I've loved animals from infancy, having my fair share of pet dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, mice, chickens, ducks and tropical fish. My closest friends are my patients, the very animals I tend to. My gift to this world is in bringing better health to animals, and bringing sick animals back to health. However, this blog was not set up with intentions of extending free consultation and services to clients; I will not rob your local vet of his hard day's work. It was set up to generate kindness, understanding, patience, tolerance and love towards animals, which I find very lacking in many humans and pet owners alike. It was created to share the simple joys of interacting with the very creatures created by the Creator Himself.

As Mahatma Gandhi himself said, "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." What a wise man to have such thoughts, for what progressive civilisation and great peoples of the earth do not love the very animals it shares its existence with?

Animals are a gift from God to mankind - for food, companionship, protection and toil. In the book of Genesis, God gave man the authority and dominion over the fish of the sea, over birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth. Let us then recognise the value of our relationship to these creatures we share our world with.

"All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all"

No comments: